Jesus said in Matthew 4:4, “...People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
Fasting is intentionally abstaining from something to focus on and draw closer to God.
Do we only fast from food?
We can fast from anything that distracts us from focusing on God such as:
- Food (or types of food, like caffeine or sugar)
- Cell phone
- Social Media
Why do we fast?
Here are several reasons we fast:
- Removing what is not as important helps me to focus on what is most important.
- Fasting is an act of worship that says, “God, I need You and want You in my life more than…” whatever I am fasting from.
- Jesus did it. (Matthew 4:1-4)
- When Jesus taught on fasting, He assumed that we would fast. He would say, “When you fast” not “If you fast.” (Matthew 6:16)
- It is an act of humility.
- To train myself to be godly. (1 Tim 4:7-8); we don't do it for our pride. (Matthew 6:16-18)
How do we fast?
Create a plan.
Set a start and end time.
Decide what you’re giving up.
Decide what you’re fasting for.
Do it with someone else.
Phased Fasting Schedule:
If you'd like to participate with us, below is a possible phased approach to fasting:
Fast one meal (or one day from social media, computer, etc.)
Fast two meals (or two days this week from social media, computer, etc.)
Fast three meals (or three days this week from social media, computer, etc.)