Do we only fast from food?
We can fast from anything that distracts us from focusing on God such as:
- Food (or types of food, like caffeine or sugar)
- Cell phone
- Social Media
Why do we fast?
Here are several reasons we fast:
- Removing what is not as important helps me to focus on what is most important.
- Fasting is an act of worship that says, “God, I need You and want You in my life more than…” whatever I am fasting from.
- Jesus did it. (Matthew 4:1-4)
- When Jesus taught on fasting, He assumed that we would fast. He would say, “When you fast” not “If you fast.” (Matthew 6:16)
- It is an act of humility.
- To train myself to be godly. (1 Tim 4:7-8); we don't do it for our pride. (Matthew 6:16-18)
How do we fast?
Create a plan.
Set a start and end time.
Decide what you’re giving up.
Decide what you’re fasting for.
Do it with someone else.
The Bayou Church Fasting Schedule:
If you'd like to participate with us, below is our January 2020 schedule:
- Thursday, January 16:
Fast one meal (or one day from social media, computer, etc.)
- Thursday, January 23:
Fast two meals (or two days this week from social media, computer, etc.)
- Thursday, January 30:
Fast three meals (or three days this week from social media, computer, etc.)